Browsed by
Month: July 2019

Flood watch renewed

Flood watch renewed

A RENEWED flood watch has been issued for the Macquarie, Bell and Belubula Rivers and Molong and Mandagery Creeks in the Macquarie and Lachlan River valleys.
Nanjing Night Net

The Bureau of Meteorology renewed the flood watch which is an alert for possible future flooding and is not a flood warning.

A Severe Weather Warning for the Central Tablelands and Central West Slopes and Plains remains current.

A large rain band has formed over the western and southern parts of NSW that has brought heavy rain to the central and southern areas of the state and is expected to cause further heavy falls until Saturday.

The rainband with embedded thunderstorms extends across much of southern and north-western NSW producing very heavy rain likely to cause localised flash flooding over the coming days.

There is a greater than 70 per cent chance of minor to moderate flooding developing over the rest of this week for the following creeks and rivers:

· Molong Creek at Molong.

· Blackmans Swamp Creek at Orange and along the Bell River catchment.

· Belubula River at Canowindra.

· Mandagery Creek at Manildra and Eugowra.

· Macquarie River. A minor flood warning remains current for Bathurst.

This flood watch means that people should monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings, this is especially important for people living, camping or working along local rivers and creeks and their tributaries.

If heavy rainfall does occur, local roads may close and driving conditions could become dangerous.

Creeks and streams may break their banks placing livestock and equipment in low-lying paddocks at risk.

If flooding occurs:

· Farmers and other landholders should consider moving livestock, pumps, farm equipment and chemicals to higher ground, and

· Never enter flood water. This includes walking, driving, riding or playing. Entering floodwater is the leading cause of death during floods.

Information on the weather in the catchment of the Lachlan and Macquarie Rivers can be obtained from the Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au alternatively you may phone 1300 659 218.

If you need emergency assistance as a result of flooding, contact your local State Emergency Service Unit by calling 132 500. FloodSafe information is available at www.ses.nsw.gov.au

The SES is closely monitoring the situation.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Putting trust in showground

Putting trust in showground

SHOWGROUND SPEND: Orange City Councillor Sam Romano wants the council to spend $250,000 per year to bring the “deteriorated” showground back into working order before moving to Towac Park within the next five years. THE Orange Show Society could have less input into the management of the showground if a new show trust proposed by Orange City Council is formed, according to the president.
Nanjing Night Net

Council general manager Garry Styles suggested a Crown land trust agreement similar to other council areas such as Bathurst at a meeting with the showground’s stakeholders on Monday night.

The agreement would replace the deed of covenant with the show society that the council controversially decided to scrap last year.

While the show society was open to establishing a trust, president Peter Naylor said no commitment would be made until the details were finalised.

“The way the deed was put up years ago the society had some say in it,” he said.

“We really don’t want to hand the deed back but the society and the users walked in with an open mind.”

Council will research similar showground trusts and ask all stakeholders for feedback before adopting the changes, according to spokesperson Nick Redmond.

Mr Naylor said the show society would also look into the situation in other areas.

“We’ll contact the other [show] societies and see the problems they’re having where they’ve got no say,” he said.

While council was aware that some stakeholders wanted to retain the existing deed, Mr Redmond said the council’s position had not changed.

Orange Showground Action Group (OSAG) president Ron Gander said the group would get legal advice before accepting or rejecting the agreement.

“We got a good hearing for the first time in three years,” he said.

Councillor Sam Romano said he was surprised by the new proposal.

He wants council to spend $250,000 per year to bring the “deteriorated” showground back into working order before moving to Towac Park within the next five years.

“I’ve change my views slightly,” he said. “I do support that we get it operational but I won’t do a backflip on the best outcome to relocate to Towac Park.”

But councillor Jeff Whitton said Cr Romano was “shooting from the hip”.

“We need to sit down with the user groups rather than throw money at it,” he said.

“It’s not good management.”

Councillor Glenn Taylor agreed, saying he was open to the new trust agreement.

“Why would you spend $1.25million if you’ve going to move it out to Towac?” he said.

“The users have indicated they’re not interested in Towac Park.

“All this will do is provoke more bad blood.”

Cr Whitton will continue his push for a showground management committee – with representatives from council and users – at next week’s council meeting in a bid to avoid an ongoing “slanging match”.

[email protected]南京夜网

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Hill confident of conquering steep learning curve

Hill confident of conquering steep learning curve

BACK IN BLUE: Orange’s Nick Hill is hoping to earn selection in the NSW Under 21 men’s hockey team after being named in the squad.NICK Hill was surprised to be named in the NSW Under 21 men’s hockey squad last week.
Nanjing Night Net

Hill, along with fellow Orange player Nick Milne, had already been chosen in the NSW Under 18s team to contest the national championships in April.

Now there’s a chance Hill could contest the under 21s national event in July as well.

“I’ve jumped up a couple of age groups,” Hill said of his 21s selection.

“I didn’t expect it. I thought I’d be under 18s and that would be it. They’ve shown some faith in me.”

Hill’s selection has come after a busy off-season.

Rather than taking a break during the warmer months, Hill has continued training and trialled for the state 18s side in January.

The 18-year-old is also making the most of his second year with a NSW Institute of Sport scholarship.

“It’s helped heaps. You get the state’s best coaches,” Hill said of the NSWIS program.

“One of the coaches has been involved at the national level so I’ve picked up so much.”

His NSWIS scholarship means he is in Sydney every Thursday and Friday and this year has to also balance his Higher School Certificate studies at Kinross Wolaroi School.

He’ll also be in Sydney on Saturday’s to play first grade for Burwood Briars.

This will allow Hill to join with former Orange player Keiran Gentles.

Hill will have his last chances to earn a place in the NSW 21s team on March 18 and 25 at the final selection trials.

“I think I’ve got a pretty good chance (of selection). I got good feedback,” Hill said.

“I have to perform at our trials and I should have a chance. You never know if you’re there for experience. An 18-year-old making the 21s doesn’t happen often.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

State stars to play in Orange

State stars to play in Orange

NEW South Wales guns and former Mitchell stars Chris Tremain and Trent Copeland could return to Orange next week to play in the Orange District Cricket Association’s centenary match at Wade Park.
Nanjing Night Net

Tremain, a former Orange District Cricket Association player of the year, and Copeland, a Bathurst product, are a chance of returning to the region after the State Cup match between Bathurst and Orange was rescheduled for next Wednesday.

And both sides will benefit from having two state cricketers each in their ranks for the 40-over day-night clash.

Both Tremain and Copeland wrap up their NSW commitments at the latest on Sunday, with the Blues taking on Victoria in the final Sheffield Shield match of the regular season at the MCG this week.

The possibility of both quicks being back to bolster their old team’s respective ranks are strong.

ODCA president Mark Frecklington said the match, originally scheduled to be played at the start of the 2011-12 season, was an important one considering it marked 100 years of cricket in Orange.

He believes the fact state players are set to line-up for either side is a massive boost.

And now the timing was right.

“I guess we were always trying to get this match up and going being a State Cup match with a couple of state players coming out to play, but with Wade Park being out of action we didn’t really try too hard,” he said.

The match will give Orange players the chance to shine after what has been a dismal representative season.

SCG Country Cup Western Zone champions last summer, Orange could only muster the one win in 2011-12 – a one-run triumph over Cowra in the final rep fixture of the season – to finish the year with a record of one win and five losses.

But Frecklington was confident Orange’s best players would be available for the centenary game in seven days time.

“I think we’ll look to play our strongest 11 but that’s up to the selectors,” he said.

“I think our strongest side would be the way to go with it being a game being an important one to mark the centenary of cricket in Orange.”

Frecklington said he’d know just which state players would be available for the game later in the week.

Next Wednesday’s match begins at 5.30pm at Wade Park.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Wighton’s NRL debut hinges on judiciary hearing

Wighton’s NRL debut hinges on judiciary hearing

BOOM Orange junior Jack Wighton has been named to make his National Rugby League debut for the Canberra Raiders.
Nanjing Night Net

A former Australian Schoolboys representative, the 19-year-old will get his first taste of the big time on the wing in the Green Machine’s clash with the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday night at Skilled Park.

However, Wighton was hit with a grade two dangerous tackle charge out of his under 20s clash with the Melbourne Storm last weekend in Canberra, which could rub the classy five-eighth out for two weeks.

The Raiders have signalled their intention to fight the charge at a judiciary hearing tonight.

If Wighton has the charge down graded, he will be free to take on the Titans.

But if the Raiders are unsuccessful in their bid to see the former CYMS and Bloomfield junior debut, Wighton could be sitting on the sidelines for three weeks.

Wighton impressed Raiders coaching staff during his elevation to the NRL squad in the pre-season.

Canberra coach David Furner named Wighton to replace injured winger Reece Robinson, who will miss up to five weeks of football with a depressed fracture of the cheekbone suffered in the Raiders’ 24-19 loss to the Storm.

Furner believes Wighton will be up to the challenge.

“He played a pretty aggressive type of football last week, so he’s earned himself an opportunity,” Furner said.

“We feel that we’ve got some grounds there that it can be downgraded. Hopefully, that does happen so he gets his debut.”

Should the appeal fail, Furner said he has a contingency plan.

“We’ve got Dimitri Pelo in that sort of position so there is a (Plan) B and C,” he said.

Raiders: 1 Josh Dugan, 2 Blake Ferguson, 3 Jarrod Croker, 4 Shaun Berrigan, 5 Jack Wighton, 6 Terry Campese, 7 Josh McCrone, 8 David Shillington, 9 Travis Waddell, 10 Brett White, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Bronson Harrison, 13 Shaun Fensom. Interchange: 14 Glen Buttriss, 15 Joel Thompson, 16 Dane Tilse, 17 Trevor Thurling.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.