Browsed by
Month: May 2019

Or Catra a deadset winner

Or Catra a deadset winner

TOP DOG: Cameron (left) and Damien Hallinan (right) with 2011 NSW Greyhounds Brood Bitch of the Year Or Catra. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 0305brood1ORANGE owner-breeder Martin Hallinan describes his recent success at the 2011 Betfair NSW Greyhound Of The Year gala event as a “deadset honour.”
Nanjing Night Net

Hallinan, along with wife Fiona, cleaned up at the annual event, taking home the 2011 Brood Bitch of the Year award thanks to Or Catra, the 2011 Stayer of the Year gong with Zipping Lad, a dog which then went on to win the coveted NSW Greyhound of the Year prize.

The victory gives Zipping Lad’s trainer, the Central Coast-based Jason Mackay, his third NSW Greyhound of the Year award having trained previous winners Texas Gold (2005) and Big Sam Banner (2002).

The gong cements Mackay’s status as one of the country’s best trainers.

But for Hallinan, taking home the award at a lavish ceremony at the Sydney Hilton on Friday night was a massive surprise.

“It’s a deadset honour,” Hallinan said.

“It’s an achievement. There’s no money involved, it’s just the achievement of it all.

“It’s an accolade awarded by seven or eight pressmen. You just don’t know who they’re picking until his name is called out. It was a big relief. I was very excited.”

Zipping Lad out-polled the two other nominees, He Knows Uno and Oaks Road, for the major honour.

Based at Mackay’s kennels, Zipping Lad’s first start was in April 2011.

Nicknamed the ‘Super Stayer’, Zipping Lad put together six straight wins over 600 metres, including a fantastic come-from-behind victory in the NSW Distance Championship at Wentworth Park in August.

He then contested the Group One National Distance Championship at Albion Park before returning to Wentworth Park in October where he came second in the Group Three Sydney Cup.

Zipping Lad ran in the final of the Group One Bold Trease Cup at Sandown before finally being rewarded for his terrific form with a brilliant win in the Group Three Summer Cup in December.

He then returned to Victoria in the last week of the year, finishing second in the Group One Sale Cup, a race Hallinan admits Zipping Lad probably should have won.

“But since April he has been very consistent,” he said.

If his success at group level was not enough, Zipping Lad also broke the 618 metre track record at Richmond and the 715 metre record at The Gardens.

The Hallinan’s award-winning brood bitch Or Catra also drew praise on the night.

“It’s a really big honour for us. She has produced great dogs,” Hallinan said.

In another coup for the region, Cudal breeders Dennis and Anne Barnes’ former sprinter Fancy Dean won the 2011 Sprinter of the Year.

Fancy Dean is now part-owned by Socceroo Tim Cahill.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Calare puts its hand up for out of school care

Calare puts its hand up for out of school care

OOSH MOVES: Orange City Council will move its out of school hours (OOSH) care at Kenna Hall to Calare Public School from term two in a bid to cut costs. Pictured are OOSH users Annalea, Jose, Hamish and Arabella. 0305mloosh1FAMILIES using Orange City Council’s out of school hours (OOSH) care services in March Street and Kenna Hall will be forced to use a new service at Calare Public School under changes to the scheme starting from term two.
Nanjing Night Net

Council will roll over the two services to one location in a bid to cut costs and meet federal government regulations.

Council’s corporate and community relations manager Nick Redmond said Kenna Hall in Hill Street did not meet the minimum outdoor space requirements.

Calare Public School will receive $5000 annually from council for the next three years to pay for the refurbishment of two vacant classrooms and a new kitchen and wet area for the OOSH service.

Principal Chris Cundy said the school had “killed two birds with the one stone” as the rooms had been earmarked as “lifestyle rooms” for the students to use for cooking activities.

“We can use it for that and for after school care,” he said.

“The reason we offered was because we had the space.

“We’ve got a big green oval and an undercover area … it’s a total package.”

Mr Cundy said OOSH users from Calare would benefit from having it based at their school with around 10 per cent using the service.

“Some parents [with children at other schools] will say why is it at Calare, but it’s not a big place Orange,” he said.

“The inconvenience will be forgotten when they see the new facility.”

The new arrangement will see council save money by cutting one staff member and reducing rent costs which totalled $31,424 last financial year.

Although the 50 OOSH spaces are currently filled with a waiting list, Mr Redmond said there were no plans to increase the amount of places available.

He said the council chose Calare as other schools had space limitations.

Parents were kept informed of the changes.

Catherine McAuley Catholic Primary School principal Michael Croke said the Kenna Hall OOSH service was run by the parish and the council.

While he admitted having the service based at the school was “handy” he was uncertain whether parents would be inconvenienced by the move.

[email protected]南京夜网

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Cargo residents push for change

Cargo residents push for change

CARGO residents want to see a 100km/h speed limit returned to the Cargo Road under a review by the state government.
Nanjing Night Net

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) is in the early stages of a review on Cargo Road after it was identified as one of the top 100 routes in NSW needing a speed review.

The road between Cargo and Orange was reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h and 90km/h in 2010 after the poor state of the road raised safety concerns.

Since then 4.03 kilometres of wire rope safety barriers have been installed in 14 locations, through $1 million worth of government grants.

Cargo resident Mick Donnelly wants the speed limit returned to 100km/h.

“I just believe it’s time to bring it back to the original speed,” he said. “The road’s been upgraded with safety barriers and now [Nashdale] Bridge work,” he said.

Mr Donnelly regularly sees impatient motorists banked up behind drivers who sit under the speed limit in the interchanging 80km/h and 90km/h speed zones.

“You see more cars travelling through Cargo in packs because many people are driving slower and sitting under the speed limit because they don’t want to get pinged by the police,” he said.

“It just makes it riskier with more people wanting to overtake.”

Several Cargo Road residents said funds used for wire rope safety barriers would have been better spent on improving the road’s surface.

RMS expects the review to be completed by the end of March. The review will be carried out in accordance with the NSW speed zoning guidelines and will assess factors including road environment, traffic characteristics and crash profiles. Any change will be determined by the results of the review.

The Central Western Daily was unable to contact Roads Minister Duncan Gay for comment.

[email protected]南京夜网

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Bid to increase speed limit divides village

Bid to increase speed limit divides village

SPEED SPLIT: Kerry Condon from Darcy’s Old Wares has labelled a move to increase the speed limit through Lucknow to 60km/h as “ludicrous”. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 0305speedA MOVE by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) to increase the speed limit through Lucknow to 60km/h has been slammed by a business owner who believes pedestrians would be put at risk by the “ludicrous” proposal.
Nanjing Night Net

The increase has divided residents and businesses in the village who say they have been kept in the dark, with only one resident aware of the proposal when contacted by the Central Western Daily.

RMS earmarked the 1.2km stretch of the Mitchell Highway for a speed limit increase following a review of roads across the state, according to documents obtained by the CWD.

Kerry Condon from Darcy’s Old Wares says few drivers stick to the current 50km/h limit.

“If the speed limit is 50 they do 60 and if it’s 60 they’ll do 70,” he said.

“Anyone who visits Lucknow walks across the road.”

The Mitchell Highway came in at number 25 on a list of 100 roads for review, receiving 15 submissions, nine regarding Lucknow’s speed limit.

RMS will continue discussions with Orange City Council and the eight submissions in favour of a speed limit increase, a spokesperson said.

“The reviews are carried out in accordance with the NSW speed zoning guidelines and assess a number of factors including road environment, traffic characteristics and crash profiles,” the spokesperson said.

Orange City Council was only notified of the proposal last week, according to corporate and community relations manager Nick Redmond, with councillors wanting to keep the 50km/h speed limit for the safety of residents.

“It wouldn’t have a big impact on trip times and … it would create confusion,” he said.

“One of the issues we had was the broader Lucknow community didn’t have the opportunity to voice their opinion.”

Mr Condon says he often sees pedestrians involved in near-misses with vehicles and is concerned about the dangers for children crossing the road from school buses.

“If they’re going to up the ante in Lucknow why don’t they up the ante in Orange?” he said.

“People in Lucknow are just as important as the people in Orange.”

But resident Laurie Chapman disagreed, saying he rarely saw pedestrians cross the busy highway.

“Lucknow is a very small village … there are bus stops on both sides,” he said.

“Bathurst has 60 on its highway.”

Helen Livingstone from 2 Fat Ladies agreed.

“I like it at 50 because it slows people down for my business … but I’m quite happy for it to be 60,” she said.

“Driving myself, I think it’s a more reasonable speed.”

Resident Bruce Heinrich said the speed limit debate had been ongoing.

“In the past people have said we need a pedestrian crossing,” he said.

“But I think 50 km/h is quite OK.”

[email protected]南京夜网

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Orange Gold Cup attracts bumper nominations

Orange Gold Cup attracts bumper nominations

IF there was any doubt the 2012 Orange Gold Cup was going to be the biggest race in the Central West this year, yesterday’s nominations for the jewel event in the Racing Orange crown put the doubters to bed.
Nanjing Night Net

A massive 182 horses have nominated across the eight-race program for this Friday’s Racing Orange meeting.

It’s the largest number of nominations the club has received since taking over the running of thoroughbred racing in Orange, with 21 horses nominating for Friday’s main race, the $50,000 John Davis Motors Orange Gold Cup (1600m).

“We’re delighted with both the number and quality of entries,” Racing Orange chairperson Ellie Brown said.

“We’re also delighted that Orange is drawing interest from far afield and indicates we are taking steps in re-establishing Orange as an important racing centre.”

Among the leading trainers heading to Towac Park on Friday, Randwick’s Graeme Rogerson has nominated impressive eight-year-old Barlagarney as well as Rockin Rocket which has a handy five wins from 26 starts record for $184,150 prize money.

The metropolitan performed Slick Sniper (Tracey Bartley), A Real Prince (Bjorn Baker), Delago Star (Kim Waugh) as well as Nothin’ Like Luca (Con Karakatsanis) are among the other strong chances entered.

Mudgee-based trainer Brett Thompson has top country miler Hewentwhoosh nominated for the Gold Cup following successive wins in Mudgee and Bathurst.

Bathurst trainer Sarah Murray-Leslie has Moment Of Clarity nominated, with the lively eight-year-old gelding a last-start winner at Towac Park over the 1600 metre distance in early February.

Among the other featured races, the $20,000 Coates Hire The Pinnacle (1000m) has attracted 21 entries and is headed by the Peter Nestor-trained Lockers, while the $15,000 Sky Racing Gold Banjo Patterson (1300m) has drawn 28 nominations headed by recent Orange winner, the Brett Thompson-trained Chatterchic.

Orange has received a touch over 81 millimetres of rain since the start of the month.

Brown said despite cool temperatures predicted over the next three days as well as a chance of a shower in the lead up to Friday’s meeting, the track at Towac Park would be in pristine condition come race one.

Gates open at 11.45am with the first race to be run at 1.10pm. The Orange Gold Cup is scheduled for race seven on the eight race program.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.