The saga that has been music festival MSFest looks to have reached its end with The MS Society yesterday confirming the music festival will not go ahead in 2013.
Chief executive Dale Eastley said the decision had nothing to do with competing against fellow music fund-raiser Breath of Life, but the fact that musical festivals were not as strong as they once were.
”Our analysis says younger audiences have moved on (from music festivals) and are looking to actively participate in things a bit more,” Mr Eastley said.
”The marketplace is not the same anymore.
”It was good while it was on and it made that connection, but people don’t buy CDs and follow bands like they used to and we need to recognise that’s a fact.
”We’re doing a mud dash again at Forth on October 6 and we’re exploring with promoters for a triathlon event later in the year, with the intention of getting a broad range of people involved.”
But he did not rule out MSFest being revived in the future.
He paid tribute to the festival’s contribution to raising awareness of multiple sclerosis with a younger audience, with the last event attracting a crowd of about 14,000.
The festival last year changed promotional hands from Clint Pease to Charles Touber. However, it found itself in direct competition with Mr Pease’s Breath of Life festival, which raises funds and awareness for the Australian Lung Foundation.
Rather than hold two festivals just one week apart at Inveresk, Mr Touber attempted to move MSFest to Hobart.
Low ticket sales led to this event being cancelled, and a planned bite-sized version at Princes Wharf also did not happen.
Meanwhile, about 16,000 people attended Breath of Life.
That festival will be held again on March 9 and 10.
This is a fashion pic
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.