LONDON: Australia’s fast bowling injury curse has struck again, with Patrick Cummins to be sent home from the one-day international tour of England – just as he had made his long-awaited return after eight months sidelined with a heel problem.
This time it is a side strain that has dragged the 19-year-old down and left his hopes of adjusting to the English conditions, one year out from the Ashes, in ruins.
Cummins picked up the abdominal injury, on his left side, during his debut appearance at Lord’s on Friday, the first match of the five-game series, which was won by England. He was feted for his rawness, his pace, and while he took some late punishment, principally from Eoin Morgan, there was an eagerness here to see what he could offer in this short campaign.
Cummins did not bowl as quickly as he is able to at Lord’s, he was clearly showing caution and leaving something in the tank with the heel injury still fresh in his mind, but now he faces another lengthy stint in rehabilitation.
It had been anticipated that the teenager would play for Australia in next month’s under-19 World Cup in Queensland but that will almost certainly not happen. It is hoped, instead, that he will be available for the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka in September.
Team doctor John Orchard said Cummins did the damage in his 10-over spell on Friday.
”Pat injured his left side during the first ODI at Lord’s,” he said. ”Whilst he was able to complete his 10 overs, he was sore after the game and was scanned, the results of which have revealed a medium grade side strain.
”This will keep him out of the remainder of the England tour. His return to cricket will be decided in due course, based on follow-up examinations in Australia.”
No replacement was added to the tour with Australia having ample supply of fast bowlers for the rest of the series, having brought Brett Lee, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitchell Johnson as well as Cummins in the touring party.
Cummins sat out the entire summer with injury after starring on Test debut in South Africa last November. The management of his body has become a delicate issue for the Australian team and his latest breakdown is another blow for the medicos in their efforts to successfully guide him back to full fitness and regular cricket.
His injury was announced an hour before the second match of series at the Oval on Sunday.
Meanwhile, opener David Warner has dismissed accusations the series is meaningless, arguing it is invaluable in the lead-up to his first Ashes contest next year.
”It’s fantastic. Obviously it sets me up into a good place if I’m up for selection next year in the Ashes,” Warner said. ”It gives me an opportunity to see first-hand what the conditions are like and what the wickets are like over here, and that you’re never in.
”That’s the thing – early on the ball is going to nip around and then who knows, in the 50 or 60 overs in a Test match I’ve still got to do the same thing.”
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.